Friday, January 22, 2010

YGMT ~ don't let the bed bugs bite!




I think the boys were about 3 years old ish, when I said "Don't let the bed bugs bite" to them as I walked out of their bedroom at bedtime . And in complete synchronization I heard them say, "Bugs?" They took it quite literally that the bed bugs just might bite them. It was cute AND funny to me at the time. I actually walked back in and explained that this one not a literal thing that I was saying to them; it was just a saying.

And most recently our bedtime routine has resulted in these back and forth exchanges.

(The boys' responses are in blue. They are 8 years old now.)

"Goodnight boys. I love you."

"Good night, Mom. I love you. I love you."

"Don't let the bed bugs bite."

"Don't let the bed bugs bite."

"Bugs??" (we all say this in unison and with a tremendous amount of question in our voices.)

"Sleep well."

"Sleep well."

"See you in the morning."

"See you in the morning."

"Sweet dreams."

"Sweet dreams."

And once more for good measure...

"I love you."

"I love you, too, boys."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

All is right with the world when we say these things to each other, and I love it. Someday I will definitely miss this. But until such time, we'll continue our lengthy goodnights.

Visit my friend, Pam, over at "You're Gonna Miss This" for more YGMT posts.


7 comments:

Andrea said...

I always told my boys, "Sweet Monster Dreams" as I walked out of their room. We were referring to sesame street monsters, but others who would visit my house were horrified when I would say this too the boys.

Blessings, andrea

Darcie said...

awww...Kinzie and I have the same refrain. But we get the second verse in, "and if they do, hit them with your shoe and they will not BUG you."

Yes...one day you are going to miss it...I know I do with the 3 oldest.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was worried this was going to be a post about having real bed bugs. Oh, I'm so glad it isn't. What a sweet memory to always remember. Love this.

McCrakensx4 said...

Awwww..that is so sweet! I am going to miss when they get to old for me to say their prays with them...sweet dreams!

Pam said...

So sweet! Sounds less lengthy than, "I need a drink" "will you tell me another story" "will you sing me a song" "will you cover me up again" "I wanted to sleep in your bed"... sigh... I'll miss it...

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

So cute! Can't say that we have a ritual anymore! I remember thinking, " Oh good, they can go to bed by themselves!" Whew! Bedtime used to be the hardest part of my day a few years back...

He & Me + 3 said...

So so sweet.