Friday, October 12, 2012

Gone too soon.

My husband woke to two messages on his cell phone this morning that came in around or before 6 a.m. That's never a good feeling; especially when the phone numbers have the area code of where he's from. Calls like that turn your stomach, make you wonder things you don't want to think about.

A great friend of his from high school died yesterday. It happened while he was away in Mexico with his wife on vacation. I'm not sure of the details, but his wife found him in the water. How tragic. I suppose if Eric had his way in how he died, it would be during one of his many adventures.

It's the third death inside of a week and a half. I have been to two funerals already, and Eric's will most likely be next week..

News like this makes you realize once again that our days are numbered as the Bible tells us. It makes you not want to take those you love for granted, or to complain about the small stuff of life. How insignificant it is that I'm having a bad hair day, I burned the chowder, I'm tired, or my house is messy. I want to feel the joy of the Lord in my everyday life as I remember one that has passed.

Father God, thank you for all that you are and all that you did on the cross for me. Help me to always know that you are in control and that I am blessed to have one more breath. Help me to be the best wife, mother, friend, and sister to those around me. Make me aware of others' needs before my own. And, Jesus, help me to know your peace that passes all understanding.

It is in Your Holy, Mighty, Sovereign and Precious Name that I pray.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,

I am sorry.

This is a precious post, especially your prayer at the end.

We were just reading about numbering our days last night for Bible study.It is a good thing to remember and to be joyful for all the good we have been so richly blessed in receiving.

God bless you and your family.

Love, Hope

Mikki said...

Oh Carol.. I am so sorry..
Doesn't it seem at times that when it rains it pours..
Praying you and your husband can find peace in knowing our God has all things in the palm of His hands and at times like this.. just like you said.. we count our blessings

Darcie said...

So, so, sorry to read this Carol. The unexpected deaths are always the hardest to hear about. Praying for you and their family too. Hugs to you my friend!

Anonymous said...

so true! somehow the little things that drain us in the moment are no longer an issue. Thanks for the reminder:)
our prayers and thoughts to Eric's family
-Pam