Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Chivalry is NOT dead!

Shawn has always been a gentleman! He has talked to our boys on occasion about how to treat girls and women in general. When we go on dates, he opens doors and pulls my chair out at a restaurant. Though I am capable of doing all of these things, there is something special about when these things are done for me by my prince charming. I am a blessed wife. 


Well lastnight, my son, Austin, and I left Shawn with the rest of the kids as they were taking swimming lessons at the local high school. I thought that it was a good opportunity for the two of us to "run" to the store and pick a few things up without 4 other children making shopping requests. Well we filled our small grocery cart and made our way to the van. As I approached my door, Austin said, "Wait". He walked in front of me and proceeded to open my car door, then closed it after we loaded the groceries in. When we pulled up to the house, he came around to my side of the car and once again opened the door. He grabbed the groceries and brought them in the house.

Can I tell you that those gentlemanly gestures melted my heart. Especially since lately Austin, being 12 and all, and I don't always see eye to eye. He's getting more of an opinion and doesn't always agree with mine. Because of that, and my attitude problem, we have had recent difficulties. Nothing major, just the two of us going back and forth. We have sweet mother/son talks as I kiss him goodnight when he says, "Mom, I love you so much." 

Because of his sweetness, today I am a different mom. God is so good......all the time.  

3 comments:

Pam said...

That is so awesome... i am definately impressed!!

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

Give your hubby a big kiss too for being that awesome example to your son! That's a neat story!

JottinMama said...

Thanks so much, Carol! I'm going to visit flylady today!!!

And I love this post! I have a 2 year old little boy and this encourages my husband and I to teach him how to be respectful and kind and a true gentleman.

Thanks so much! Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
Kate :)