Friday, July 23, 2010

home again, home again, jiggety-jog


We decided two weeks before we even went on vacation that we would cut it a little short and have a "stay-cation" for the rest of our time. That time began today and it is good!

Before I get ahead of myself, we had a great time in all the places we visited.
D.C. was sooooooooo hot! The temperatures were in the mid 90's along with humidity. As you all may well know, when you visit our nation's capitol, you walk to see all the monuments, museums, and all that good stuff.

We started our day at Arlington~ a place of honor, commitment, and sacrifice.
I love to go there and appreciate what's been done for me.
It's a beautiful place.

We then went to see the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Veteran wall, the WW II Memorial, and the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
We did all of that in one day!

After D.C., we stopped in Baltimore to see our friends, Debbie, Jaden, Kyla, and their dog, Gracie. Can you believe we met them on the Mediterranean cruise we took last summer? See this post and this one, too, for cruise photos. We spent a lot of time on the cruise getting to know each other and Deb invited us to visit them some time. I love it how God brings people together in unexpected ways. We had so much fun with their family.

After Baltimore, we headed north to New Jersey.
We spent 3 days there and kept busy the entire time. We did almost all of the things I listed on my last post that we wanted to do. Photos soon to follow! :-)

Now, back to our stay-cation. I love to use that silly word. It works. Staying home and enjoying what's here while relaxing and possibly getting a million things done, too.
For example, my husband put trim on the chicken coop he and Austin built, they also mowed the lawn. Industrious hubs cleaned out the garage, built the basketball hoop thing that is now in the attached garage, and vacuumed the pool. He also went for a swim twice, and watched a movie with us. We are in the middle of, "The Miracle Worker." Such a nice family film.

I, on the other hand, did laundry, emptied my suitcase, did a mini project, went to the pharmacy to pick up my thyroid medicine, stopped at Goodwill and found the cutest dress, went to see my friend, Christine, briefly, stopped at a garage sale, cooked dinner, went swimming with the family, and then watched the movie, too.

See what I mean? Everyone is happy to be home and we are still on vacation.

Hope you have had a great Friday.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE StayCations! No packing/unpacking, and you get to enjoy being home together. Sounds like your trip was wonderful! I'm anxious to take our children to DC. I hope you enjoy your time together at home. Summer is so quickly coming to an end.... it's so great to savor these last couple of weeks. Happy Weekend Friend!

Catherine Anne said...

Sounds blessed and full~ Great to catch up~ Catherine

Denise said...

How wonderful that you got to visit with your friends again :) I loved Baltimore Harbor and DC, kinda miss living close by to it all really!
Summer is flying by but we aren't going anywhere this year, perhaps next year I'll take another trip back home.
Have a great weekend.

Shannon said...

I love stay-cations almost as much as I love vacations! DC in July is very ambitious. I've done it... it's hot! Nothing like hiking between all the monuments to make you appreciate good AC. Glad you're getting some downtime now. Have a good weekend!

fullertribe said...

So glad that you had a good time. I can relate with the DC Visit and it being 90+ degrees!!! When we took the kids we went the week after the 4th of July and it was HOTTTTTTTTTT!!!! We also saw all of the things that you saw and a few more but I think we went into DC two days in a row. We love having family that lives only an hour from there.

Joyce said...

I've been in D.C. in the middle of a heat wave and it is brutal! Glad you are having some family fun. Did you get to sample the fabulous blue crabs in Baltimore?

McCrakensx4 said...

Sounds like you had a great 2 weeks! That is awesome. DC is always fun and spending time with friends and family is the best!

He & Me + 3 said...

WE are doing stay cations with the baseball fields. Close to home but yet staying away. It has been fun. Sounds like your trip to the east was fun and super busy and hot. It is nice to travel but always good to be home.

Leslie Pratt said...

Lovely bblog you have here