Monday, September 21, 2009

Sweet Sheriffs, Salsa, Sunsets & Surprises!

Based on Melanie's love for my high-heeled, knee-high boots, she decided to dress up this way.

She and Braaten figure since I don't wear those boots enough, that they have an obligation, a duty, to wear them for me.

Oh no, this doesn't look so sweet!

Today Austin and I made homemade salsa together. And, boy, was it good! I was inspired by Mama M. at "Three Crooked Halos" to make it after she posted about it with the recipe included. Thanks Mama M!

He did a fine job helping me.

Doesn't that look so yummy? Fresh cilantro would have made it even better. I have had a difficult time finding it here. I'm not sure why. I guess there's not a whole lot of eating Mexican in these parts. Curries are something they eat a lot of in England, though, which is a whole 'nother cuisine. If you're looking for curry powder, well, you'll definitely find that. I actually fancy a mild Korma since living here.

Please pass the salsa.

After dinner, our 3 youngest children went off to their Monday night activity at church called Cru Club. Cru stands for Crusaders.

Since Braaten and Austin are the only ones home with Shawn and I, we decided to do something special with each one. Shawn and Braaten took Fletch for a nice, leisurely walk and then played Uno. Austin and I took a bike ride and caught this sunset.

He was a true gentleman, and at my request, biked home to get the camera for me. When he got there we took a few pictures of each other. I wish someone was nearby to take a picture of us together.

On our way back home, Austin said, "I love you, Mom. You're beautiful."

I knew right then that spending that one-on-one time together meant the world to him. And you know what, I felt the exact same way.

I love you, Austin!

~Surprises~ (I mean, Prizes)

If you have not commented, followed, or posted about my giveaway, please visit this post and read all about it.

If anyone only left one comment (letting me know that you are now or have been following me plus a general comment), please leave a second comment. I originally only wanted this in one comment, but I noticed a couple of people left two separate ones. That's OK with me. I just want anyone that did not do that to go ahead and leave a 2nd comment. I'm sorry about the confusion.

9 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Carol,

You have a beautiful family. What a sweetheart Austin was to head on back and grab the camera. Definitely worth it with the amazing sunsets you captured in both pictures.

What a nice way to end the day with some personalized one on one time with the kids.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

the Lehman's said...

What a great post!! Sweet story about Austin. Oh I also love the picture of Mel and the boots. Salsa looked awesome. Have a great week. julie :)

Rachel said...

That's so awesome! What amazing pictures!

I love the cowgirls - hilarious!

Dreamgirl said...

I just found my way here bloghopping and I'm so glad I did. What a beautiful blog and I just loved your post. There is nothing like having a loving relationship with your family and the Lord.

The salsa looked awesome and we would have a hard time finding cilantro in Norway too...

Thanks for sharing your life!

Have a wonderful week! (And please come by and say hi...)

Five Moms & A Blog said...

What an awesome picture of your son with the sunset. Beautiful! Love the one he took of you and you are beautiful as he said. What a sweet compliment from your son!

I have never watched it but my husband has. I'll bet I'd yell at the screen alot though if I did, judging from what I've heard about it.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

ooops, that was me, Nan!

~ Nan

Joyce said...

I wrote about your give away on my blog today-finally!

Salsa looks delish and you learn to live without cilantro in the UK...there is no sticky toffee pudding here in the USA so it all evens out in the world of cooking : )

Happy Anniversary to your blog!

LisaShaw said...

Beautiful family memory. I enjoyed my visit. Blessings and peace to you dear sister in Christ.

Donna said...

Hi! I enjoyed your blog after finding a link on Joyce Daley's blog today!

When we lived in Hillingdon, UK for a year, I thought we would have to live without our favorite Mexician dishes, but we made do with what we found there.

For your cilantro salsa fix, try CORIANDER. This is what they call cilantro in the UK.

Hope this helps- Donna, Alabama